Profile of Senapati

Senapati is the district headquarter of Senapati district in Manipur. It is located on the northern part of the state of Manipur.


History of Senapati:


The Senapati district was earlier known as Manipur North district. The district came into existence with effect from 14th November 1969 and the headquarters were initially located in Karong. Later on the district headquarters were shifted to Senapati on 13th December 1976. The district came to be known as Senapati district from 15th July 1983.


Geography of Senapati:


The district covers an area of 3721 sq kms. It is located at an altitude varying from 1061 meters to 1788 meters above sea level. The district is dominated by hill ranges, green valleys, streams and rivers that flow through mountains and deep gorges. There is a hill range which runs along the northern and southern direction and gradually slopes down towards the south to meet the Imphal valley. The major peaks of the hill range includes Isii (Iso), Khouchi, Houdu, Pgapu and Koubru.  Around 80% of the total area is covered by forest and the rest 20% is arable land.


Climate of Senapati:


The district falls under humid sub tropical climate. The soil of the district is moderately fertile with clay loam soil having patches of clay and loam. The temperature varies from 35° C in summers and 3° C in winters. The average humidity of the district is maximum 92% and minimum 76%. The district receives rainfall of around 671 mm to 1454 mm. the rainy months goes on from June to September. The major rivers in this district are Barak, Iril, Ithoi, Irang, Imphal and Lane.


Demography of Senapati:


According to the 2011 census, the Senapati district has a population of 354,972. The district has a population density of 109 inhabitants per sq km. the literacy rate is 75% and the sex ratio of the district is 939 females for every 1000 males.  The major tribes inhabiting the place are Mao, Maram, Poumai, Thangal, Zemai, Liangmai, Tangkhul, Vaiphei, Nepalese, Chiru, Chothe, Maring etc. Manipuri is the official and widely spoken language in the district. Other than that, Aimol, a Sino-Tibetan language is also spoken here. Christianity is the predominant religion of the district.


Economy of Senapati:


Agriculture is the main occupation of the people of the district. The major crops grown include paddy, maize, cabbage, potato and cereals. Terrace cultivation is mostly practiced by the people. Cattle rearing and animal husbandry are other occupations of the people here.

13
  • SHARE THIS
  • TWEET THIS
  • SHARE THIS
  • COMMENT
  • LOVE THIS 0
  • E-mail

Comments / Discussion Board - Profile of Senapati

Loader